Tuesday, October 30, 2012


We're trying something new this year... the DIY Halloween costume. In years past, I've shelled out nearly $50 for Mason's Halloween costumes. Not this year!

It all started last year at the pumpkin patch. Mason saw two boys dressed up as scuba divers and has been talking about dressing up as one ever since. The idea really is quite simple: a black outfit with a scuba mask, some tanks and flippers. I decided to do some research on how to build the tanks, and that's when I found this great article from Real Simple Magazine. There are so many cute DIY costume ideas!

I decided black leggings and a black, long-sleeved shirt would do for the outfit portion, and believe it or not, it was so hard to find those things! I ended up finding the leggings at Carters and the shirt at Kohls (both in the little girls section, shhh). I had zero luck finding a black, long-sleeved boys shirt... even in the middle of Fall. We ordered a scuba patch online and ironed it on the front of the shirt.

For the tanks we took two empty 2 liter water bottles. My crafty husband spray painted them yellow and added some metallic looking duct tape. He added a scuba sticker (another online find) and made straps with black shoelaces.

Lastly, for the fins, I cut them out of some cardboard and my husband spray painted them black. Then we poked two holes near the top for the shoe laces to come through so they'd attach to the shoes.

Here's the final product:












































Photos I used at the top of this post are from Real Simple Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment